Wednesday, September 7, 2011

My Closet tried to eat ME



 I dont consider myself a messy person. I crave neatness and like order but the one thing that has been a nightmare for me since I had the baby was my closet. It just seemed like the most unimportant room of the house. I hold on to everything and hate to get rid of clothes. I always think "well maybe for halloween or that one party..." And I end up holding on to 7 inch gold heels and 5 different cowboy hats. haha! Tell me Im not the only one who does this? Plus my husband told me I cant buy anymore shoes without getting rid of a pair everytime. So ergo Tyden is out of town and I am cleaning my closet out! I have some great things but I also have some stuff that just needs to get out and get out fast! And I need to get organized again in here. The best advice I could give to anyone with  having mass quantities of clothes and shoes is this... Stop buying crap! Buy items that you can wear for a long time and buy quality. Stop buying 10 shirts when you go shopping that will fall apart in a few washes and buy one nice shirt that will last you a few years. Thats my advice, take it or leave it! So here is my closet makeover.... I had to make it pretty or else it would just be to boring to spend so much time on :)

Before pics -The shoes are not feeling the Love
No rhythm or reason
Yep pretty bad
So yeah that was horrible lets Move on to the after pics.....



I thought it would be fun to decorate my shoe shelves. I found this great wrapping paper that was so bright and cheery I knew my shoes would be in heaven. Also I decided to get rid of a ton of shoes. If I hadnt worn them in the last 6 months they were goners...except for the 7 inch gold heels of course :) The wrapping paper i just measured and cut out and attached to the wall with double sided tape so that it would be easier to remove later on. I love the way it turned out!
I got these cute turqoise caddies from Target. These saved me so much space on my shelves.They fit perfectly under my shoes shelves. Gym shoes in one and sneakers in the other. Oh and flip flops went in shoe bin by front and back doors of house
I saved a shelf on my shoe rack for my jewelry. My grandma always sends us antique glass and these bowls were perfect for my jewelry. In the full picture you can see I covered a shoe box with the wrapping paper as well and I put all my chunky bracelets and watches in there. And i hang my necklaces on pegs on the wall.
This antique coat rack is perfect for my favorite purses to hang on as well as my lucky straw hat (which by chance doesnt fit anywhere else) You can see the pink clothes bag behind it where my wedding dress is nestled. I LOVE seeing it hanging there with my temple bag :)
Storage containers saved my life! I had so much fun shopping through the 4 aisles target has dedicated to these beauties. The turqoise 3 drawer container on the ground has neutral tank tops in one, colored tanks in the other and summer scarves in the bottom drawer. Gym bag is on ground next to it
shirts on one rack - cardigans and summer jackets on the next
Right bin has my maternity clothes in it and the left bin is winter sweaters jackets etc. The flower bins have winter scarves in one and gloves and beanies in the other.
Color coding makes life easier :)
Dresses, skirts, and jeans (that fit) hung up. The three drawer bin on ground has belts, hats, and panty hose. The flowered bins on top were clear and i hated seeing the clothes squished inside so i decided to place wrapping paper on the front inside of bin. I Like it :) They have hiking backpacks and weekend bags in one and the other is winter pjs :) You think im joking? I get new christmas pjs every year as a tradition from my mom and now my hubby. I love them and wear them everynight during the winter but its just too hot here in az during the summer so i put them in a bin until winter rolls around. Plus I have this thing about wearing rudolph pj pants in july :) It just feels wrong.
these hanging storage racks are the best! Excuse tydens clothes to the right..his side of the closet in not organized (hmpf!) I put my shorts on the top, then white mens tees ( my every day staple shirt) then gym tops, gym bottoms, leggings, and last but not least the "skinny day" jeans tucked away neatly on bottom :)

Well one week later and only $40 and my closet floor can be seen and my clothes are warm and cozy in their homes. You didnt think I did it all in one day did you? I wish! But with a one year old following me everywhere and eating wrapping paper you can only get so much done in a day :)  When winter rolls around I will take all my winter items out of the bins and replace them with swimsuits etc :) Easy peasy! 

PS. Barrett wants you to know he helped!

No comments:

Post a Comment